Thursday, October 23, 2008

Apple Hill Fun

On Saturday, October 18th, we made our annual trip up to Apple Hill. It's a fall outing I look forward to every year! When I say we, I'm referring to our good friends, Nicole, Steve and little Tyler, along with Brian & me. I've lost track of the number of years we've been trekking up to Apple Hill...maybe five or six...but it's always a good time. Some of my favorite stops in Apple Hill include: Boa Vista Orchards, High Hill Ranch, and Kids Inc.

* Boa Vista Orchards
We always have to pull into Boa Vista Orchards and take a peek at the crafts for sale. In the past, the one booth Nicole and I have always perused is the Lasting Impressions tent. (LI is a company that sells tons of embossing templates, perfect for cards and scrapbooking.) This year, however, perhaps, due to the economy, it was nowhere to be found. Oh well, maybe next year! Our visit wouldn't have been complete, though, without sampling an apple donut, which was surprisingly tasty. (Thanks to my hubby for suggesting we try one this year!)

** High Hill Ranch
Next up, we visited High Hill Ranch, and literally parked between two gigantic fir trees. (They also have parking in the apple orchard, too--it's great!) Lots of adults and kids are drawn to High Hill for their stocked trout fishing pond, delicious produce, and yummy apple juice samples. Others, like me, get giddy thinking about visiting because High Hill has a great selection of crafts. One of my favorite booths, Wagon Works, has tons of handcrafted items made out of old barn wood: wagons, rustic wood crafts, and bird feeders. I bought a burgundy wood star from them last year (which often hangs on our front door), and this year I couldn't pass up on the chance to bring Annie, the angel, home with us. (You know I'm not usually one to name inanimate objects, but I'm an alliterative nut...and Annie just suits her.) After we finished shopping for crafts and apples, it was time for lunch. Sitting at a picnic table amid the towering trees, we feasted on our homemade picnic lunches. It was so fun just being outdoors in the beautiful foothills among friends!

*** Kids Inc.
We definitely saved the best for last! Kids Inc., a family-run business, prepares the most delicious handmade desserts from scratch using fresh fruit from their ranch. Every year, I've ordered the delectable Apple Crisp, which is drizzled with sweet cider sauce and accompanied by a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It's to-die-for! In fact, I find myself salivating right now just thinking about it. :-)

I'm sure by now, you're wondering, "Where are the pictures?" Well, I completely forgot my camera on this trip (and could have kicked myself for it), so you'll just have to use your imagination...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...