Sunday, February 22, 2009

i {heart} switzerland


I got this crazy scrapbooking idea in my head a few weeks back.

Maybe I could create a 2-page layout for each of the seven stops on our 2006 European trip?!

I'd need layouts of: London, Paris, Interlaken, Cinque Terre, Venice, Florence, and Rome.


Mulling over this ambitious project in my head while shopping in Beverly's recently, I came across Scrapbooks Etc. Page Planner, a magazine chalk full of sketches for easy scrapping. It was exactly what I needed!


As you can see, the magazine has lots of layout sketches with photo dimensions.

I wasn't ready to commit to seven layouts, but wanted to create a 2-page Switzerland layout since Switzerland was my favorite stop on the trip!

After perusing the magazine sketches, I selected a photo-heavy layout, I "Heart" Christmas, because I wanted to include as many pictures as possible. For six of the pictures, I ordered wallet-sized; the picture of us in the ice palace started out as a 4 x 6. I cropped the wallet-sized pictures down to 2 x 2 and the 4 x 6 picture down to 4 x 2.

I mounted the pictures on kraft cardstock, laid the picture blocks on the layout...and discovered that the sketch dimensions were NOT so accurate! I had an itty-bitty picture gathering and LOTS of white cardstock space around it. Ugh!

Well I thought, "Do I want it to be perfect or done?"

"Done."

So, I added a dark brown mat to the pictures. I did this for two reasons: to cover more white cardstock and bring some more brown into the layout to coordinate with the chestnut brown sticker letters. Next, I placed the title, year, and journaling brackets (American Crafts Chit Chat letter stickers) on the layout.


Last, but not least...the journaling reads:
"I loved Switzerland! The snow-capped mountains, tall green trees, green-blue lakes and rivers--sheer alpine serenity! We traveled by gondola to Gimmelwald, a tiny town high up on a mountain with gorgeous views. In addition, we visited the top of Europe, Jungfrau (which is 11,000+ feet up) and toured the ice palace. Back in Interlaken, we feasted on yummy Rosti rolls and fondue. What a treat!"


Although this layout didn't come together the way I thought it would, I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. And thanks to the sketch, it didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. Next time, I'll just include larger pictures!

Coming soon: A layout of Brian & Jennie at 30 -OR- a layout of London.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...