Saturday, February 14, 2009

Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies

Before we proceed to the cookie recipe, here's a blast from the past! :-)


Taken in Brian's parent's living room, the two of us were headed out on our first Valentine's Day date ten years ago! (At that point, we had only been dating for about six weeks!)

Oh, and check out Brian's tie...he's always been such a Goofy golf enthusiast!


And here we are today in our own family room!


In addition to this handmade card and a book, I presented my love-ly hubby with some delicious Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies. (The full recipe can be found at the end of this post.)


If you'd like to make these yummy cookies, here's what you'll need: butterscotch chips, unsalted butter, flour, sugar, quick oats, baking soda, salt, and boiling water. (Not pictured: The water was boiling in the microwave during the taking of this photo!)


After preheating the oven, I melted the butterscotch chips and butter over low heat in a small saucepan, stirring it occasionally. (Thanks to our friends, Tom and Myranda, we have a new-to-us range, which I love! Would you believe that all four burners light up on command?! As Billy Crystal would say, "It's simply mar-ve-lous!")

When the chips and butter had fully melted, I pulled the pan off of the burner. In a medium-sized stainless steel bowl, I stirred together the boiling water and baking soda. Then, I stirred in the melted chips and butter, along with the flour, quick oats, sugar and salt until everything was well-blended. (I was so busy stirring the dough--there's no KitchenAid mixer in our house--that I completely forgot to take a picture of this step!)


I dropped the dough balls (about the size of a teaspoon...ok, maybe more like a tablespooon) onto several clean cookie sheets. Lastly, I baked the cookies for 10 minutes.


When the 10-minute timer started ringing, I removed the cookie sheets and transferred the cookies to wire racks to cool down. As the recipe explains, the cookies will be very crisp. (I can tell these cookies were on the bottom rack because they are looking a little too crispy, if you know what I mean.)


Although these aren't your traditional oatmeal scotchies, they are yummy in Brian and Jennie's tummies good! (As I just typed that last sentence, it donned on me that these cookies were supposed to be for my hubby! Well, let's see what excuse I can come up with...quality control, that's it! Someone had to make sure they were edible!)
____________________________________________________________________
Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies
by Ginger (via AllRecipes)

Ingredients
1 cup butterscotch chips
3/4 cup unsalted butter
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1 pinch salt

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. In a small saucepan, melt butterscotch chips and butter over low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. In a medium bowl, stir together the boiling water and baking soda. Stir in the melted mixture, then stir in the flour, quick oats, sugar and salt. Mix until everything is well blended.

3. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto unprepared cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Cookies will be very crisp. Remove to cool on wire racks.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...