Sunday, October 11, 2009

Lighting

A week ago today, my photography classmates and I ventured up to Grass Valley to take pictures at Empire Mine State Historic Park. Our assignment was to shoot a myriad of objects using different types of natural lighting (front lighting, side lighting, back lighting, etc.). We also photographed a few of the objects' shadows.


This side-lit cottage is where the mine owner's family lived for many years.

Maybe you're wondering like I was--what is it that they mined for? GOLD!! In fact, according to the Empire Mine website, the Empire Mine was "the oldest, richest, and largest gold mine in California. From 1850 to its closing in 1956, it produced 5.8 million ounces of gold. This 5.8 million ounces of gold would fill a box 7 feet on each side." Fascinating, huh?!

As you can see, the grounds are very well-kept. Apparently, many couples have been married on the lawn in front of the cottage or alongside the nearby reflecting pool.


Just as Effie, John and I were leaving the park, we spotted this antique gas pump, which in its heyday pumped 19 gallons of gas at a time.


I love it in black and white, too!



When I was in Grass Valley, I had tried unsuccessfully to shoot a back-lit object (a white rose), so when I arrived home, I thought, Hey, why not try again? I headed out to our front yard where this beautiful, pink hibiscus was waiting for me.


Same plant, different flower. But just as pretty.


I saved my absolute favorite for last. The side lighting from a nearby window highlighted the gorgeous texture on these Willow Tree sculptures. (I'm lucky to have quite the collection of Willow Tree figurines, thanks to my thoughtful and generous family members and friends.) And chances are, you'll soon see this shot in an upcoming wedding or anniversary card.

Well, I'm off now to finish up two more blog posts that have been patiently waiting to be published. Hope you're having a super Sunday!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...