Sunday, June 6, 2010

Just how well do you know your partner?


As I was sorting through boxes of photos and keepsakes this week, I stumbled across a quiz that I had torn out of The Sacramento Bee.

I thought it would be fun to test my "Brian I.Q." and share (some of) my answers here on the blog-o. Below is the list of true/false questions. My responses are italicized.
If you have the time and inclination, quiz yourself and see how you do.

How well do you really know your partner?
To find out, answer these true/false questions from John Gottman's Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work:

__I can name my partner's best friends.
Yup; I've got that one in the bag!

__I know what stresses my partner currently faces.
Hmmm...I think I know this one, but I'll have to ask Bri when he comes home.

__I know the names of those who have been irritating my partner lately.
Ha-ha...could be me! :-)

__I know some of my partner's life dreams.
Sure, I know some, but I should take the time to ask him more.

__I am very familiar with my partner's religious beliefs.
Easy, peasy!

__I can outline my partner's basic philosophy of life.
Wow, what a question! Definitely looking forward to delving into this one with Brian.

__I can list the relatives my partner likes least.
Yes, I can, but I won't. :-)

__I know my partner's favorite music.
He loves old country music right now, and some days it drives me just batty.

__I can list my partner's favorite three movies.
Let's see...Top Gun, Rudy and Pulp Fiction?! (B: Am I right?!)

__I know the most stressful thing that happened to my partner in childhood.
Maybe Lori pushing him into a glass window. Just kidding!

__I can list my partner's major aspirations.
I can name a few off the top of my head, but I should ask him and see if I'm on target.

__I know what my partner would do if he/she won the lottery.
I always say, "When I win the lottery, I'll..." and Brian says, "Well, you can't win if you don't play." Ha-ha! So, if Brian played and won, what would he do with the money? Well, right now, I think he'd hire a teenage boy to help take care of our land and build himself a workshop where he could work with wood. Oh, and buy a bigger television for his man cave.

__I can relate in detail my first impressions of my partner.
Here's what I remember thinking when I saw Brian for the first time in Macy's at the age of 20. (We met at age ten, but my impressions then were quite different.) I thought, "Wow, he's tall. I like tall. Wow, he's buff. I like buff. And did he just call my name and say hello? Is he really talking to me? It's my lucky day."

__I ask my partner about his/her world periodically.
I need to be better about this!

__I feel my partner knows me fairly well.
Yes, maybe too well. He-he!

According to the article, if you answered true to more than half, you know what makes your partner "tick." (Math is not my strong suit, but I *think* 11 out of 15 is more than half. Woohoo!) If not, Gottman says to take time to learn more about your spouse to make your relationship stronger.

What great advice; I plan on doing so!

Have fun,
J

1 comment:

Alicia said...

How fun...Joe & I just quized each other.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...