Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Slow Me Down

The Bahamas: A perfect place to s-l-o-w down














This past July, I was sitting at the dining room table on a Sunday afternoon, feasting on a turkey sandwich and pita chips, when I came upon a prayer in the St. Teresa's bulletin. 

The prayer really resonated with me, so I cut it out and placed it on my blog inspiration clipboard.  Initially, I planned to post it right away, but I felt--given my state of mind--that it would be better to wait and share it at a later date. 

Why?  Well, because I was so relaxed.  So calm.  So content.  

I had not a single to-do item on my list for the day.  Maybe the week.  

It was summer after all, with very few worries, very few demands, and lots of free time. 

These days, life is much more hectic, which means it's the perfect time to share this prayer. 

And, in doing so, gently remind myself of the need to s-l-o-w down. 

Slow me down, Lord,
ease my pounding heart,
quiet my racing mind,
steady my hurried steps.


Amidst the confusion of my days
give me the calmness of the everlasting hills,
help me to know the restoring power of sleep.


Teach me the art of taking time-off,
of slowing down to look at a flower,
to chat with a friend,
to read a few lines from a good book.


Remind me each day that there is more to life
than increasing in speed.
Let me look into the branches of a towering oak,
and know that it grew tall and strong
because it grew slowly and well.


Slow me down, Lord.
Teach me to be gentle and humble of heart,
and thus I will find rest for my soul.

Author unknown
St. Teresa's bulletin
7.24.11

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...