Thursday, August 1, 2013

Five Simple Words



May God bless your day.

That's what a woman said to me at the park two weeks ago.

So sweet.

So kind.

And yet so profound.

What a lovely greeting, I thought at the time.   

Sometimes, I forget the power of positive words--they can easily inject a little light into someone's world, as they did for me that morning on the trail, and they often stick with you long after they are spoken. 

A few days after that encounter, I heard a song by Sidewalk Prophets on the radio.  

The song, "Live Like That," goes like this:

I want to live like that
And give it all I have
So that everything I say and do
Points to you...

People pass
And even if they don't know my name
Is there evidence that I've been changed
When they see me, do they see You...


That last line, When they see me, do they see you? reminded me of the woman at the park and her heartfelt greeting.  Clearly, God was working through her that morning.   

This question also got me thinking about my own life.  Am I living my life so that when people see me, they see God?

I certainly strive to do so, because when I meet God, I want to hear him say, Well done.

But I'm also human.  I make mistakes.    

Luckily, every day is a new day.  A chance to be kinder to others.  To smile at your neighbor.  To hug your spouse or child.  To compliment someone.  To write a letter to your mom or dad telling them how much they mean to you.  To congratulate a friend on an achievement.  To help someone who needs assistance.

I want to begin this new day (and new month) by sending out these five simple, but powerful words to you: May God bless your day.
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...