Friday, April 24, 2009

Five years ago today...

Brian and I were saying "I do" amid family and friends at Holy Family Catholic Church. :-)

In the past week, I've been looking through our wedding photo albums and watching parts of our wedding DVD. (Back when we were planning our wedding, we weren't sure that we wanted to spend additional money on a videographer, but boy am I glad now that we did!) And in doing so, I've been reminded of a handful of moments--some funny and some touching--which I'd completely forgotten about. So, on this special day, I thought I'd share a few of the photos and memories.


Here comes the bride: In this moment, Brian was seeing me for the first time in my wedding gown as I processed down the aisle on the arms of my mom and dad.


Our minister and friend, Father Simon, whom we'd known since our teenage years, cracked jokes throughout the Mass. One of the funniest moments was during Father Simon's homily. Brian and I were kneeling on the altar and Father Simon, who was standing right in front of us, looked down at us and asked, "Who's the boss?" Brian pointed to me and Father Simon immediately raised his arms up, looked toward the heavens and said, "Thank you God for celibacy!" Brian and I broke into hysterics and the whole church roared with laughter.


Mr. & Mrs.
After 3+ years of dating and an 18-month engagement, we finally tied the knot!


The Bridal Party
We were (and still are) blessed to be surrounded by good friends and family.
I'll never forget singing Whitney Houston's I Wanna Dance with Somebody at the reception alongside my sister, Nichole, just like we did when we were young--sans the pink nightgowns.


Our flower girl, McKayla, who had just turned two!


This candid photo of me was taken during my dad's speech at the reception. During his address, my dad read a thank you letter I'd written to him in fourth or fifth grade. In the letter, I'd thanked him for helping me with our science project, but explained (with obvious disappointment) that we had only gotten a B on the assignment. (Apparently, I've always been rather competitive when it comes to earning good grades!) Not only did my dad's speech make me laugh out loud, but it also brought tears to my eyes. And it meant so much to me that he, not only took the time to craft such a heartfelt and humorous speech, but also had the courage to get up in front of over a hundred people (on a very emotional day) and deliver it so well.

And one final memory:
At the reception, Brian read a poem he'd penned for me in the wee hours of the morning on our wedding day. (As I was typing this up, I just kept thinking, "Gosh, how lucky am I to have such a wonderful husband!")

The last five years have been the best of my life.
Through all the joy and tears,
I always knew you'd be my wife.

Thirteen years ago in middle school
when we met for the first time,
If someone had said we'd get married,
I'd have said they're out of their mind.

Now as I look back,
it's crystal clear to me
that the Lord brought us together
to live in love for eternity.


You are such a beautiful woman
with an amazing soul

I make this wedding promise to you:
my love will forever be unconditional.

Now I'm not telling you it'll be perfect
or that we won't have any fights

and with my firefighter schedule,
we'll have a lot of lonely nights.


But on those evenings as you lay in bed
and were wishing we weren't apart
from this day forward, you'll always be near my heart.

And as I've told you many times
and my sentiments will never differ
With each passing moment
I love you now more than ever.
___________________________________________________________________
Here's the the loving life anniversary card I created for Brian.




{supplies}
Cardstock: Stampin' Up!
Patterned paper: Papertrey
Ribbon: Michael's
Heart Punch: Stampin' Up!
Stamp: Ali Edwards Loving Words Stamp Set (Technique Tuesday)
Top Note Die: Stampin' Up!
Rhinestones: Me & My Big Ideas Icons
Foam Dimensionals: Stampin' Up!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...