Monday, April 27, 2009

KW's 50th Color Inspiration Challenge


Since we're headed to Europe tomorrow, I've been furiously trying to pull this card together in between packing, cleaning, and blogging. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to participate in Kristina Werner's 50th Color Inspiration Challenge! (You go, girl!) Plus, I love the bright colors--don't they remind you of Curious George books?! Maybe it's the teacher in me, but that's what came to mind when I first saw them. I would have loved to create a CG card, but since I can't draw to save my soul, I passed on that idea and instead focused on creating a kiddie-type birthday card.


As I was looking through my stamp sets, the candles on this SU! stamp caught my eye. As you can see, they were the inspiration for this card!




Notes on this card:
*I didn't really want the flames to be simply cardstock, so in order to bring in a little texture, I hand cut them out of Michael's yellow felt ribbon. (It was in the $1 bargain bin a few months back.)

*The polka dots on the middle candle appear to be much darker than the color of the cardstock, but in reality they are only slightly darker. I stamped the polka dots using a Versamark Ink, then used clear embossing powder (SU!) and my heat gun.

*Sometimes I'll substitute one color for another or leave out a color altogether, but for this challenge, I was very careful to use only the five colors Kristina laid out for us. (Thanks, Kristina, for eliminating the SU! color names; it's so much easier without them.)

*If I had had more time, I would have tried to incorporate some more brown into the card--perhaps by incorporating brown ribbon--but overall I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. It's definitely the wildest card I've ever created, but it feels good to step out of the box and play with colors and layouts that I probably wouldn't choose on my own.


{supplies}
Cardstock: Stampin' Up! (turquoise, white and yellow)
Patterned Paper: Papertrey (red and red polka dot); American Crafts (brown stitched)
Vellum: Close to My Heart
Stamps: A Little Birthday Cheer (SU!); Simply Circles (SU!)
Ink: Stampin' Up! (chocolate chip); Versamark Stamp Pad
Circle Punch: Marvy Uchida
Ribbon: Michael's Stores
Misc: Cricut; Hole Punch; Foam Dimensionals (SU!); Red Rhinestones; White Gel Pen; Clear Embossing Powder (SU!); Heat Gun

11 comments:

Carla G. said...

Hi Jennie! I absolutely LOVE your creation! I submitted a card (mine is #103) but I think you may have a winner on your hands. This is so cute and cheerful! My neice is having her son's first birthday in May and I may borrow your card inspiration! Great job! Good luck to you! Carla G.

Savitri said...

Wow, this is super duper cute!!! You used the colors so so well. FUN!!!

Carla G. said...

Hi Jennie! Thanks for the sweet e-mail! If you will e-mail me with your e-mail addy I will see if I can help with your blog questions. Thanks...Carla G.

(my e-mail is ceejay03@aol.com)

Anni said...

Wow, this is a great card and i love it!

Anonymous said...

Very cute b'day card Jennie! i gave up on doing a card and decided to do a 3d instead LOL have a good day! ~Donna

Melanie said...

Very creative Jennie ... I love how you thought outside of the box and designed such a great card. You should definitely be a Kristina pick.

Winter said...

So cute & fun! Great job! :)

Ashley Cannon Newell said...

Very cute! Love your inspiration!

Two Happy Stampers said...

Love how you used a stamp as your inspiration! Those candles are very cute! =)

messycecy said...

What a cute card! I like how each of the candles is unique and altogether a great card.

Amy said...

What a cheerful card -- perfect for a birthday! Love the felt flames on the candles.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...