Thursday, June 4, 2009

Hanging Jewelry Board

Sub jobs are hard to come by this late in the school year, so I've spent the last few days working on projects around the house and here in my workshop.

Hanging Jewelry Board
For quite a few months now, I've wanted to create a jewelry case, board or box that I could hang in my bedroom or closet. I'm not really a jewelry box kind-a-gal, so for the past five years or so, my necklaces, earrings, and bracelets have been living in my side table drawer. Earlier this week, I set out to find a hinged box with glass door where I could hang my jewelry.
I went online to Etsy and found a seller, Uncorked, who creates hanging display boxes using old record frames. While I like the look of her frames, most of them cost $45 or more. So, instead of buying one online, I decided to head to Michael's. There, I found a hinged display case for $15, but when I got it home, the 11 x 14 box was just too small. (And I really don't have a lot of jewelry!) So I started looking around our house--mainly in the messy spare bedroom--for something else that might do the trick. "What about this fabric-covered bulletin board?" I thought. It used to hold photos, newspaper clippings, and greeting cards, but now it's empty. Maybe, just maybe it would work for jewelry! I noticed in the Uncorked Etsy listing that the seller uses beaded corsage pins to hang her jewelry. So, when I was at Michael's I snatched up a package of them in the wedding aisle. (I didn't exactly need 144 of them, but it's always good to have extras on hand.)


In just thirty minutes, I had arranged and hung all of my jewelry on the board and hung the board up in my closet. Presto!


A couple more {notes} about the board:
1) I laid all of my jewelry out on our dresser beforehand to make sure I'd have enough room and to visualize how I was going to hang it all up on the board.

2) I decided not to place my rings up on the board because I tend to wear them pretty infrequently. Even less frequently than other types of jewelry and those of you who know me well, know that I don't change my jewelry very often.

3) I placed extra pins at the bottom of the board for future earrings or bracelets.

4) Lastly, I tacked a plastic bag full of extra pins onto the bottom right corner of the board, so when I need them, I can easily find them!


More simple projects to come!

P.S. Last night, we were treated to a fantastic lightning show here! There were over 1500 lightning strikes in just ONE hour! And lots of rumbling thunder, along with a period of torrential rain. I was so mesmerized by the lightning strikes that I forgot to pull out my camera and snap some shots. If you don't live in the area and want to see some cool lightning pictures, check out this KCRA video.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...