Saturday, June 27, 2009

Happy Birthday, Nichole!

Today is my sister's 28th birthday!

In this picture, Nichole and I were dancing in the kitchen in Issaquah, Washington. I'm guessing I was 8 or 9 years old, which means Nichole must have been about 5 or 6 years old.

Nik: Don't you love our matching bangs?
! And attire? Check out the avocado green refrigerator in the background covered with magnetic letters.

Nichole and I had a {rad} childhood--if I do say so myself. In honor of Nichole's special day, let's take a little trip down memory lane.

Growing up in Issaquah...

we danced to Whitney Houston songs, Madonna, Janet Jackson, Wham and other 80s artists.

we played Barbies and Cabbage Patch Kids.

we pretended to be teachers, airport ticket agents (like Dad), and grocery store clerks.

we collected Garbage Pail Kids cards. (Remember Sticky Nikki, Flat Pat and Mean Gene?!)

we shared a room; I slept on the top bunk and Nichole slept on the bottom bed.

we spent many hours outside playing on our swing set, driving in our boat, making mud pies and gallivanting through the Back 40.

we had such fun with our neighborhood friends: Hallie, Meghan, and Drew.

we set up a lemonade stand at the end of the court.

we loved helping Mom with our baby sister, Katie.

we pushed Katie around the house in the laundry basket, read her books, and gave her lots of hugs and kisses.

we swam in Pine Lake.

we celebrated our birthdays together every year.

we attended Sunny Hills Elementary School.

we got excited when a storm rolled in bringing strong winds. See, our house was surrounded by lots of tall trees and Dad always told us that if the winds hit 70 mph, we would head to a hotel. We really didn't care about the winds per se; we just wanted to spend the night in a hotel!

we took swim lessons in an outdoor pool. How was this possible in the state of Washington, you ask?! The pool was covered with the coolest bubble (aka tent) we'd ever seen!

You'll notice I began each sentence with "we." I'm so thankful that I had a sister just three years younger than me, with which to share all of these wonderful experiences.

Happy birthday, Nik! Love ya!
:-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennie this is awesome, I remember sharing so many of these memories with you guys! My Daughter is now playing with my old cabbage patch dolls! I totally remember that fridge too! And the racy wallpaper in the downstairs bathroom! I remember your sweet dogs, Happy and Bear dog! And dressing Nichole up like a little Madonna wanna be. I know I have a picture of that somewhere I need to find it and get in on facebook! Happy Birthday Nichole!

Hallie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...