Thursday, July 30, 2009

Goats in da House

Just down the street from us, 150 Kiko goats have taken up residence.

(Hence, the name of this post!)


You might be wondering, "What are 150 goats doing in a residential area in the 'burbs?"

Well, the goats are hard at work eating overgrown grass, weeds and trees in a 9-acre greenbelt area.

Very cool, huh?!

And they are doing a marvelous job! From what I can tell, they've already devoured an abundance of vegetation.

Roy Austin, owner of the Kiko goats, says that "one hundred Kikos can eat about a half-acre of vegetation a day."

Wow!

That's quite an appetite!


The goats are surrounded by an electric fence and protected by two guard dogs.

Brian and I like to walk a 1-1/2 mile loop in our neighborhood and wouldn't you know, it takes us right past the goats. :-) Sometimes, I get lucky and the goats are grazing near the fence; other times, they are hidden from view by trees, bushes or houses.


By the way, have I mentioned that I like goats?

I think they're cute! I'm particularly fond of smaller goats like the pygmy goats. In fact, each year when we visit the State Fair, I have to go and visit the pygmy goats. It's a sickness, I know. Brian and I have even discussed buying some goats when we have a bit more property. But in the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy the Kiko goats just down the lane.

P.S. To learn more about this "green" vegetation management service, click HERE.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...