Saturday, November 28, 2009

Leaves & Leaning

This year, I'm really enjoying the colors of the autumn leaves. Maybe it's just me, but the hues seem much more vibrant this fall. These American Sweetgum tree leaves sure exhibit an array of color before they fall to the ground.


Your eyes aren't playing tricks on you; the tree is leaning toward the west.

The word *leaning* always reminds me of this funny scene from While You Were Sleeping.

Lucy: [to Jack] Okay, um. What do you mean by the leaning thing? You mean because he gave me flowers?
Jack: And then you *leaned*
Lucy: And then I leaned.
Jack: Yeah.
Lucy: Okay, how did I lean when I leaned?
Jack: It was a lot different from hugging. Hugging's very different. Hugging that involves arms and hands; and leaning is whole bodies moving in like this
[leans toward her suggestively]
Jack: . Leaning involves *wanting*... and *accepting*. *Leaning*...
Joe Jr.: Hey Luce! Is this guy bothering you?
Lucy: [Laughs] No, no.
Joe Jr.: Are you sure? Because it looks like he's *leaning.*

(If you haven't seen this movie and you like romantic comedies, go and rent it now. It's especially fun to watch during the holiday season!)


Okay, enough about leaning, let's get back to the leaves.

I was amazed at how this deciduous tree--just down the street from us--had five different colors of leaves at one time: green, yellow, orange, red, and brown. (I say "had" because between the hail, rain, and wind over the past two days, many of them have likely sailed southward.)


For the past few weeks, I've made a point to really look at the leaves as I drive towards our house, taking in all of the colors. Someday, I'd love to fly back east during the fall to witness firsthand the changing of the leaves.


Ever wonder why and how leaves change color? Click HERE.


Aw, the beauty of nature. God is good.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...