Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mylar Magic


I'm having so much fun learning about photography and growing as a photographer.

In the Macro class I took in early February, our instructor introduced us to the magic merits of mylar. Following my instructor's advice, I purchased a small roll of reflective mylar film at TAPS Plastics.

For the shot above, I set up my tripod and camera in the front yard, rolled the mylar into a tube and slid it over my lens. While holding the mylar over the lens, I snapped one shot of this beautiful Yuletide Camellia. I viewed the picture right away and you'd think I'd struck gold. I started jumping up and down in the front yard! (If my neighbors didn't think I was crazy before, they do now!) Why? Because I just couldn't believe I'd captured such a neat-o shot! It's one of those rare, "frame, here I come" shots! :-)


For this next shot, Brian held the piece of mylar up beside the same plant. Instead of shooting the flower or the plant, I took a photograph of the mylar film.


The next day, I continued experimenting with mylar during our class field trip to the Folsom Railroad Museum. There, I snapped these shots of an old water pump.


By the way, if you are ever up in Folsom on a Saturday or Sunday, stroll into the Railroad Museum, which is located adjacent to the Chamber of Commerce. There is no entrance fee, but a small donation is appreciated. Although I was there just to take pictures, a museum volunteer told me that kids can pan for gold and pump water just like the miners did back in the 1850s.

I'll be sharing more photographs in the days to come. For now, I'm off to watch Season 3 of The Office with my hubby!

Toodles,
J

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...