Tuesday, May 18, 2010

AMGEN Tour of California


It isn't every day that world-class cyclists pedal through our neck-of-the-woods.

Cyclists like seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong--the man wearing a Radio Shack red and black jersey in the picture above.

Or George Hincapie, also a seven-time Tour de France winner, who is the man to Lance's left donning a blue BMC jersey.


Just as the AMGEN Tour of California race was beginning in Nevada City at 11:45 a.m., we grabbed our camping chairs and cameras, and ambled down the road to cheer on the riders. While I took pictures with our point-and-shoot on the left side of the road, Brian shot with our Nikon D-90 on the right side of the road. (Brian captured the image above and the one below.)




In looking back over this photo, I was struck by the dichotomy between the two men. Lance appears to be quite serious--his facial expressions and upper body muscles exuding utter determination, focus and drive. Ironically, George, a good friend of Lance's, appears to be happy-go-lucky and relaxed. I think George is actually joking with (and maybe even razzing) Lance.

Fast forward to yesterday...I shared my celebrity sightings with my fourth graders and one of my students asked, "Did you talk to Lance?"

To which I replied, "No, I just cheered him on! He was a little busy riding his bike."

The same student then said, "Well, I would have showed him my yellow bracelet and yelled, "Live Strong!"

Lance is, without a doubt, a superb athlete who has won many races. But as one of my students reminded me, he has also battled and defeated cancer, which is a great achievement in and of itself. And as if that weren't enough, this generous man continues to inspire and help those with cancer through his foundation.

Now that's impressive.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...