Friday, June 18, 2010

Pioneer Woman's Meatloaf

Yep, I'm back in the kitchen making another one of Pioneer Woman's fabulous recipes.


This time it's all about the MEATLOAF!!

In six years, we never once used our broiler pan at the old house, so I didn't bother to bring it to the new house.  Then, I went to make this meatloaf recipe, and learned that I'd need one.  Luckily, Brian had a great idea!  He recommended placing a row of forks in the bottom of the pan.  How smart is that?!  I asked him, "How did you think of that?" and he said, "I saw someone at the fire station do it."  :-)

I grabbed nine forks from the utensil drawer, flipped them over and lined them up, alternating the direction of the tines on each fork. 


Forming the meatloaf mixture into a free-form loaf was a bit tricky.  I molded it into the shape I desired on a plate, but then realized that I'd have to transfer it onto the forks.  Plan A: I gently picked up both ends of the massive loaf, but the whole thing started falling apart immediately.  Plan B: I was really wishing I could just slide it off the plate right onto the forks, but the loaf and the plate didn't see it that way.  I swear the hunk of meat didn't move an inch!  Plan C: Hunk by hunk and bit by bit, I reshaped the loaf on top of the forks.  It wasn't nearly as aesthetically-pleasing as my first creation, but when I covered it in bacon, all of its little imperfections disappeared.



Then, I poured one-third of the tomato gravy over the top of the meatloaf and popped it into the oven for 45 minutes.

When 45 minutes had elapsed, I poured another one-third of the gravy over the meatloaf and baked it for another 15 minutes.


When the timer went off, I pulled out the meatloaf and cut into to make sure it was done. 
Looks cooked to me!


Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and green beans...delicious!

I {love} food.

J
___________________________________________________

If you have The Pioneer Woman Cooks, you can find PW's Meatloaf recipe on pages 150-151.  I was hoping to post a link to her recipe here on my blog, but I've searched high and low and can't seem to locate it.  So, I'll do the next best thing.  I'll post it here, and hope that Pioneer Woman doesn't sue me.  Ha-ha!

Pioneer Woman's Meatloaf
Meatloaf Ingredients
1 cup milk
6 bread slices
2 pounds ground beef
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt (Lawry's)
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
4 eggs, beaten
8 to 12 thin bacon slices

Tomato Gravy Ingredients
1 1/2 cups ketchup
6 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Dash or two of hot sauce--more if you like heat (I didn't use any!)

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Pour the milk over the bread and allow it to soak in for several minutes.
3. Place the ground beef (or turkey), milk-soaked bread, Parmesan cheese, salt, seasoned salt, black pepper and parsley in a large mixing bowl.  Pour in the eggs.
4. With clean hands, mix the ingredients until well combined.
5. Form the mixture into a loaf shape on a broiler pan (or a glass pan with forks on the bottom).  And don't forget the aluminum foil!
6. Lay bacon slices over the top, tucking them underneath the meatloaf.
7. Next, make the tomato gravy: Pour the ketchup into the small mixing bowl.  Add the brown sugar and dry mustard, and splash in the hot sauce.  (Or not!) 
8. Stir the mixture until well combined.
9. Pour one-third of the tomato gravy over the top of the meatloaf.
10. Bake for 45 minutes, then pour another one-third of the remaining tomato gravy over the meatloaf.  Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
11. Serve with the remaining tomato gravy on the side as a dipping sauce.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Looks delicious! Very clever of your hubby and you with the forks. I don't think I've ever used my broiler pan either! ;)

Alicia said...

Looks heavenly! Cute picture of you on top. Are those all of your birthday cards in the background???? You are loved :)
Happy Birthday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...