Friday, October 22, 2010

Auburn Antiques Fair 2010

Last Sunday after church, I drove down Highway 49 to Old Town Auburn, where the 43rd annual Antiques and Collectibles Fair was underway.


I strode past the courthouse, which used to be the state's capitol building, pausing just briefly to photograph it. Each morning, on my drive into work, I pass by it and marvel at how beautiful it looks lit up against the black sky.

With the smell of kettle corn permeating the air, I wandered through the antiques booths set up on the streets. Tables were covered with Pez dispensers, baseball cards, old coins, belt buckles, thimbles, rolling pins, empty spools, Little Golden books, knives, and egg baskets.

What's the old adage?
One person's trash is another person's treasure...



During my travels, I spotted a few items that piqued my interest. Like this 1925 patent leather helmet priced at $400.


And this board covered with old-fashioned keys. I adore old keys. There's something romantic, nostalgic and mysterious about them. I wonder, What do they open? Where are they from? What's the story behind each of them?


And these two washboards, which I purchased and plan to hang above our washing machine.

But before I place the left washboard on a nail, I am going to fill the opening above the washboard with some cardboard and a beautiful piece of patterned paper.
Something old paired with something new...



And this needle-style floral frog, which is designed to hold flowers in place.


But I'll be using it instead to display a handmade greeting card from my dear friend, Nicole.


I also bought four milk glass bowls (seen on the right in the picture above) from an antique shop in Old Town Auburn. (Aren't the Scrabble tiles adorable? Each display had its own tiles s-p-e-l-l-i-n-g out its contents.)


I love that milk glass is white, classic, and versatile. And although I like the pattern on this milk glass, I'm finding that as I do more research on milk glass, I'm drawn more to the hobnail milk glass made by Fenton in the 1940s and 1950s.

In fact, as I frequent thrift stores in the coming months, I'll be on the hunt for hobnail milk glass pieces that I can display in my kitchen.

I'm also looking forward to attending the Auburn Antiques Fair next year, and hope that Brian will be home to come along with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE old keys too. They are so neat and I always wonder about their story too.

Love ya,

KES

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...