Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Giles Wedding

A friend of ours asked me to take photographs at her dad's wedding two weekends ago.

The day of the wedding, the shutterbug in me was excited.

But the perfectionist in me was so nervous.

Here are some of my favorite shots, along with a few things I learned that day.

Pre-wedding shots:

Divine Savior Catholic Church







Wedding shots:



Isn't the bride's father's grin simply adorable?!







Post-wedding shots:

Our friends, Scot, Jen and Jessie (Jen's dad is the groom.)







Shooting this wedding reminded me how much I love holding a camera in my hands, how much I adore seeing the world through my viewfinder, how much I enjoy capturing life with a lens.

It also became clear through this experience how much more I still have to learn about photography. For instance, I found it challenging to shoot indoors at the reception with low light. I begrudgingly used my flash, so my shots weren't blurry, but I'm interested in learning more about how to soften the light coming from my flash. I'm adding this to my summer to-learn list now.

I also learned that I need to start saving for another lens. Preferably a zoom lens that lets in more light.

This experience also reiterated the need for practice. I 'm realizing that if I don't pick up my camera on a regular basis, I easily forget what I've learned. The old adage is so true: If you don't use it, you lose it.

Weddings are such joyous occasions (no matter how young or old the bride and groom might be), and I am truly thankful to have had the opportunity to witness this marriage, to practice my photography skills, and to get to know Lindy, the other amateur photographer shooting the wedding.

J

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Looks like a beautiful and very sweet wedding - love that cake! You did a great job and I know what you mean about flash - frustrating for sure when you have to use it. :)

Alicia said...

Jennie-These look fantastic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...