Sunday, March 6, 2011

Yesterday & Today: Six Childhood Memories


I just completed my second layout in Ali Edwards' Yesterday & Today class. (Click here to see my introductory layout.)

It's been a work-in-progress for several weeks now; little-by-little it came together.


Choosing six photos was the easy part. In fact, as I sifted through boxes of pictures, I pulled out at least a dozen photos I wanted to write about. But I had to narrow it down to just six. (It's very likely that I'll do another six stories this summer.)

The six photos I ended up including in this layout were pictures that instantly brought memories, feelings, and thoughts to mind. They were also the ones that made me laugh or smile.


Crafting stories to go along with the six photos proved to be more difficult. I had no problem jotting down notes; the details that I could remember off the top of my head.

I also showed the photos to my mom and sister, eliciting their recollections of the events and time periods.

But actually taking those phrases and stringing them into sentences and then organizing them into a coherent story (six times over) became a challenge.

Writing is tough.

But for me, it's important; it's worthwhile.

That doesn't mean I don't procrastinate every now and again, though.

I'd like to share one of the six memories from this layout: Childhood Memory #5.


Nichole and I loved to sing and dance. It didn't matter if we were inside or outside; whether we were in shorts, pink silk pajamas or leotards and leg warmers. On this particular day, the tunes came from our silver boom box sitting on the driveway. We'd pop in a tape, push play, and sing away. Sometimes, we'd have to hold down the fast forward button to get to our favorite song. Other times, we'd rewind the tape, so we could listen to a song once more. Some of our favorite songs included: I Think We're Alone Now (by Tiffany), I Wanna Dance With Somebody (by Whitney Houston), and Papa Don't Preach (by Madonna). And as you can see, taper candles worked perfectly as microphones.

I'm so glad these photos + stories now have a home. No doubt, this will be a layout I enjoy for years to come. I think my sisters and parents will like reading the vignettes and looking at the pictures, too.

For me, that's what scrapbooking is all about--telling the stories of your life and those you love.

J

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...