Monday, December 3, 2012

Christmas Picture Books


Hello, December!

Last week, I eagerly pulled out our Christmas bins and started decorating the house.

With an 11-month-old "cruiser" in the house this year, I've decided to keep our Christmas decorations to a minimum.  

I'm saying "no" to pillows, stuffed animals, and throw blankets on the couches.  (I tried putting them out, but they were on the floor within minutes.)

And saying "yes" to a fresh Christmas tree, garland around the windows, our nativity scene on display (and a Fisher-Price set for Noah), along with our tiny collection of Christmas books. 

As I've shared before, one of my favorite childhood memories is reading books with my parents and sisters during the holiday season.

I hope to read Christmas books with our son this year--and in the years to come.
 
Here are the books we'll be reading in the next few weeks:

1) The Sweet Smell of Christmas

2) The Night Before Christmas

3) The Christmas Promise

4) There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!

5) Baby's Christmas

6) Little Miss Christmas (and Mr. Christmas)

*The Jolly Postman is pictured above, but upon further review, I realized it's not a Christmas story. The Jolly Christmas Postman would be better suited for this collection.

For now, I'm keeping these books out of Noah's reach--since he loves gnawing on book covers and ripping out pages--but I'm eager to share them with him.      

Starting next year, I'd like to purchase 3-4 titles (new or used) every holiday season, slowly growing our stash of Christmas books.

I'd love to eventually accumulate enough books so that we can read a new book each day in December.  (And maybe even cover every book in wrapping paper!)

Recently, I searched online for great Christmas books for kids.  Here are four lists that contain excellent Christmas and/or winter reading selections.      

Simple as That: 50 Fabulous Christmas Books for Kids

Ali Edwards' Christmas Book List

Amazon's Bestselling Children's Christmas Book List

SouleMama's Winter Reading Favorites List

I've added many of these titles to Noah's Amazon wish list.  In the future, I may create a separate wish list just for holiday books.

What is your favorite Christmas book?






P.S. A note about Amazon: For years, I've happily purchased books, toys, furniture and other things on Amazon.  Now that I'm a stay-at-home mom living in a rural area, I use Amazon even more!  For a long time now, I've added Amazon links to my blog posts.  Recently, though, I enrolled in the Amazon Associates program.  What that means is that I will receive a small percentage of all sales made via links here on my blog.   In other words, if you click on an Amazon link in one of my posts and purchase something, I'll receive a little dough from Amazon.  Thanks, in advance, to those of you who use the links to purchase Amazon goodies; every little bit helps keep this blog humming along. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...