Saturday, January 12, 2013

This Week: Thanks and Wow

Right now, I'm reading a book by Anne Lamott called Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers

As I think about the prayers I offer up to God, I realize that Ms. Lamott couldn't be more right.  

I'm either asking for help, giving thanks, or as Lamott writes, "feeling awe at the world around [me]."

This past week, I've been saying lots of "thanks" prayers and "wow" prayers.

Truth be told, though, I don't know if there really is more "good stuff" happening in my life right now, or if I'm just more open to seeing and acknowledging it.  

Regardless, I'm thankful.  And hopeful.  And happy. 

Here's a look at what's been happening around here:


Saturday: We celebrated Noah's first birthday in the company of family and friends.  Noah was showered with new toys, clothes, shoes, books, and even some money for his college fund.   

Sunday: I watched Downton Abbey for the first time--after seeing a photo of the show on Instagram. I know I'm a little late to the party (Season 3 just started), but I'm glad to have found a series I really enjoy watching!  Now, I just have to hunt down Seasons 1 and 2, so I can get caught up on the storylines and characters.  (ETA: Brian just picked up Season 1 from Redbox...woohoo!)

Monday: Even though Notre Dame lost to Alabama, Brian had fun playing poker with his friends. Meanwhile, Noah and I enjoyed dinner (Dos Coyotes' burritos) with my mom, sister, and 2-month-old niece, Zoey.   

Tuesday: Noah received a beautiful, handmade quilt from our friend, Noeleen.    You know how we all have gifts from God?  Quilting is definitely one of Noeleen's gifts!  (If you'd like to see the quilt, check out my Instagram photo here.)

Wednesday: After Noah's nap, we headed to the library to pick up a few books.  On the way there, Noah and I were listening to Christian music when "Proof of Your Love" by For King and Country came on.  I LOVE that song!  I cranked up the volume and sang loud, especially during the refrain.  Noah just smiled from the backseat... 
 
Thursday: I received a wonderful package in the mail.  Inside, there was a wooden hanger with my name on it, along with a card from my sister, Katie. 

The card said:
Plan with me,
Stand with me,
Cry with me,
Laugh with me
...will you be my matron of honor?"

My answer: YES! 

Friday: Marilyn, our babysitter, watched Noah for four hours in the afternoon.  During that time, I finished the tenth (and final) assignment for my children's writing class.  It's been a great experience, and I'm excited to start submitting my stories and articles to children's magazines. 

Saturday: Both Noah and I were glad to see Brian this morning; he's been at work for the past three days.  Also, I planted seven paperwhite bulbs a few weeks ago, and one of them bloomed today.  I love having fresh flowers in our home!

Now it's your turn: What are you celebrating?  Watching?  Listening to?  Baking?  Writing?  Reading? Feeling grateful for?   

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...