Friday, March 29, 2013

Flashback Friday



In August of last year, Brian was unexpectedly called out on a strike team to fight several wildfires in Northern California.  

When he left, we weren't sure how long he'd be gone.  

Maybe 3 days?  Or 5?  

Try 14 days.  

One week into his assignment, Noah and I surprised him with a visit.

We drove almost two hours to see Brian, and he had no idea we were coming.

It was one of those spur-of-the-moment things.  I just thought, What the heck?  I don't have to work tomorrow, and we miss him, so let's go!  And Noah didn't have any objections.  :-) 

But while we were driving to see Brian, he called me on my cell phone.  When he asked where we were, I told him we were in the car.  That part was true.  But then he asked where we were headed, and I had to tell a little white lie.  I said we were in the car...um...driving to the um...the park, yeah, that's it, the park.  

In reality, we were over an hour away from our local park. 

When we arrived, Brian was genuinely surprised--he doesn't usually like surprises--and so excited to see us.

There were hugs and kisses all around.  

We ate dinner together, chatted away, read a children's book, hugged some more, and told Brian how much we missed him.  

Then it was time to hit the road.  Brian had to get back to camp.  We had to get home.  And thankfully, Noah slept nearly the whole way home.  

A week later, Brian and the rest of his strike team, returned home.  

I was proud of Brian for fighting the fires for 14 days.  

And proud of myself for taking care of Noah, the dogs, and the house while Brian was away. 

I'm sure enjoying these Friday flashbacks.  Are you?  I'll be back next week with another picture share.

Hope you and your family have an "eggstra" special Easter!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...