Monday, April 28, 2014

Oh Yoga, How I Missed You


Last Monday, I attended a gentle yoga class just minutes from my home.

It had been over five months since my last yoga session. And prior to that, a year or more.

Coming out of this most recent class, I thought, Oh yoga, how I missed you.

I missed the deep breathing. Inhale, exhale, repeat.

I missed the stretching.

I missed the quiet.

I missed the sustained focus. Focusing on each pose. Where my hands go, where my feet need to be. Focusing on my body. What feels good and what doesn't. Focusing on my breathing--when to inhale and when to exhale.

I missed extended child's pose. Aaah, so relaxing.

I missed downward facing dog.

I missed plank position. Yes, even plank! 

I missed the mental break yoga provides, clearing my mind of the never-ending "to-do" list.

As my yoga instructor said, "Just focus on being," a reminder I needed to hear. 

It was an hour--not to do, do, do and go, go, go--but instead to just enjoy stretching and breathing and lying on my mat and listening to soft music. 

By the end of the session, I felt relaxed and energized and excited to take on the day.

Bye-bye worries and anxiety and tension. 

Hello calm mind.

Hello happy spirit.

Hello energized body.

Oh yoga, how I missed you.






P.S. I have my mom to thank for introducing me to yoga years ago. The two of us would go to the gym on Sunday mornings, do yoga for an hour, and then chat about life. I miss those days!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...