Friday, November 7, 2008

The New Gym!

California Family Fitness opened its newest gym on November 1st...and it's just around the corner from our house! Yippee! No more fifteen minute drives to the gym--well, that is except for yoga on Sundays! (Elaine, the Orangevale yoga instructor, totally rocks!) Now, I really have NO excuse for not working out!

The first few days the gym was open, though, I purposely avoided going there fearing it would be overrun with people. I finally stepped foot inside the new gym this past Thursday, and to my surprise, it was rather empty! I walked around the facility for several minutes, trying to orient myself as to where the different types of machines were located. During my self-guided tour, I came upon the two racquetball courts, both of which were in use. (Many moons ago, Brian and I played racquetball with friends of ours who lived in the same apartment complex. I doubt we still have our rackets, but it would be fun to play again!) Just past the courts is the "cardio" area: a sea of elliptical trainers, treadmills, and stationary bicycles. That day, I had my choice of treadmills, which are often hard to come by up at the Orangevale gym, especially in the evenings. There was one treadmill open up front, so I hopped on and started walking. I walked for three minutes and then jumped into my 6-minute run, 1-minute walk routine.

About halfway through my exercise session, something funny happened...I found myself experiencing a perspiration meltdown. I couldn't figure out why I was sweating so much; I was only 17 minutes into my workout, for goodness sake. Maybe this gym wasn't as well air-conditioned as the old gym? Perhaps. Or maybe I had worn too much clothing? No, I don't think so; I had on a t-shirt and shorts. Or maybe I was having a hot flash? Not likely. That's when I realized it...I'd made a critical error in my choice of treadmill. This treadmill did NOT have a built-in fan! (Who knew I was such a treadmill snob?!) Seriously, though, I really do like to sweat a little; "glowing" is perfectly acceptable! Sweat trickling down the sides of my face, however, is so-o-o not okay. It's disgusting and downright unattractive. I've never toted a towel to the gym before, but perhaps, it's time!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...