Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Cinque Terre Layout

Back in February, I created a 2-page i {heart} switzerland layout. At the time, I was hopeful that over the course of the next few months, I would be able to create similar layouts for the other six stops on our 2006 European sojourn. See, I really wanted to finish all the layouts by the time we returned to Europe in late April. And I reasoned that if I didn't complete them prior to our second trip, they would never get done.


Well, it's now the middle of April and I'm happy to report that although I haven't finished all six layouts, I have completed two more layouts and I'm working on a third one. Fingers crossed, I'll have all seven 2-page layouts completed by Sunday, April 26th. I know, I know...that's only six days away and I need to pack for Europe, too, so we'll see. And if Kristina Werner or Dawn McVey host color challenges this week, I'm in {big} trouble! You know how much I love participating in color challenges! :-)


Here are a few notes about this layout:

*All papers are from Stampin' Up! except the white Bazzill 12 x 12 cardstock.

*The CINQUE TERRE letters and journaling brackets were cut using my Cricut.

*I wanted the pictures to be larger than the ones in the Switzerland layout, so I trimmed six of the 4x6 pictures down to 3 1/4 x 3 1/4. Since the longer photo of the Cinque Terre coastline was only 6" long, I added the white and yellow paper layers to the green square in the right corner.

*The two flowers (from SU! Botanical Blooms) were stamped with Versamark Ink and then heat embossed with clear embossing powder. I love this look; don't be surprised if you see these blossoms again in a card or two!


Check out that picture of my hubby enjoying cheese and crackers along with a bottle of wine, courtesy of my aunt Donna! See, my aunt is an American Airlines flight attendant and was working our flight from New York to London. I will never forget walking onto the plane and hearing her voice over the loudspeaker. (I remember turning to Brian and saying, "OMG, that's my Aunt Donna!") Then just as Brian and I were getting situated in our seats, Donna walked over, gave us great big hugs and told us to grab our stuff because we were heading up to first class. Brian and I were giddy with delight; it was the first time either of us had ever been in first class! :-) And not only did Aunt Donna spoil us silly in first class (with food, wine, movies, full beds, etc.), she also gave us a bottle of wine to enjoy during our travels. (Thanks again, Donna!)


The journaling reads: "Cinque Terre is a group of five little towns clustered on the Northwestern coast of Italy. We stayed in a private house (owned by Sylvia) in Riomaggiore. The views of the Ligurian Sea were awesome! We did a lot of hiking; my thighs were killing me! But it was so worth it to be able to explore each town. May 2006" (I added the date afterwards.)


After I finished the layout and photographed it, I had one picture left over, which just sat and sat on my workshop desk. See, I just couldn't bring myself to display a picture of a toilet on the layout itself (yuck!) and yet I was getting tired of seeing it on my desk. So, I added a slide out tag. On one side is the picture of the European toilet and the back side contains journaling.


The journaling on the tag reads:

"It's squat time! Got TP? (Get it?!)
This is a bathroom in Corniglia (Town #3). As you can see, the toilets in Europe are a bit different than we're used to. Oh, and be sure to bring along your own toilet paper. The little things we take for granted."


Hey, maybe the Europeans are on to something...there's no need to remember to put the toilet seat back down! ;-)

Coming soon...a 2-page Venice layout!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...