Monday, October 11, 2010

Thoughts From the Road


Below are a few thoughts from my commute home tonight. (Don't worry, I wasn't scribbling these down; that's what my dictaphone is for!)

1. Love, love, love my new Dansko boots. These boots were made for walking! He-he...I couldn't resist. These babies weren't cheap, but they are oh-so-light and comfortable. I'm still getting used to how loose they are (which the saleswoman said is normal for Dansko shoes), but my feet don't feel the slightest bit achy like they did day after day in my old black boots.

2. Up ahead, there's a cloud of brown smoke and it smells like wood is burning. Time to call my on-duty firefighter husband to get the scoop!

3. Can't believe Halloween is only three weeks away. I doubt we'll get any trick-or-treaters this year. :-( But I better have a few full-size candy bars on hand--just in case--to reward anyone who climbs up our steep driveway.

4. My sweet friend, Noah, had a vase of fresh flowers delivered to my school today. They are so pretty and make my room smell good.

5. Yep, my husband just confirmed that there's a fire burning near Sun City Roseville. (Later on, he and his crew went out to help fight it.)

6. At church yesterday during the homily, I was impressed by the deacon's courage in telling a story about his son. The deacon, who is in his mid-fifties, described how one day his 6' 5" son stood up for a much smaller boy who was being bullied on the school bus. Then, he said, "After my son passed away, the mother of that boy came up to me and told me how much she appreciated my son doing that." It was clear that telling this story wasn't easy for the deacon--he got choked up as he uttered the words "after my son passed away"--but I'm so grateful that he decided to include it in his talk. Because it's important to stand up for one another, it's important to remember that our words and actions can have a profound effect on others, and it's important to celebrate the lives of those who have gone before us.

7. Near Auburn, I saw a billboard for an Antiques Fair this Sunday. I don't think I've ever been to an antiques fair, but I'm going to go this time. I'm disappointed that Brian won't be able to join me, but I'm excited to wander around and look at the goods. What will I be keeping an eye out for, you ask? Milkglass, a washboard or two, and maybe even a rotary dial telephone. I still remember turning the dial on the kitchen phone in Issaquah in the 1980s.

8. Contemplating participating in Ali Edwards' December Daily, although I may have to pare it down from 25 days to 10 days, or find a different project altogether that is not quite so labor and time intensive. Regardless, I am interested in documenting our December activities and traditions using photos + text.

9. Enjoying listening to Caleb's Story by Patricia MacLachan. Ms. MacLachan wrote Sarah, Plain and Tall and Skylark from Anna's perspective and then switched things up a bit by writing Caleb's Story from--you guessed it--Caleb's perspective. Love stories of life on the prairie...

10. Praying for the mom of one of my former students who is dying of brain cancer. She is in her late thirties, and has a 10-year-old and a 6-year-old. Oh, how my heart breaks when I think about how difficult it must be to say goodbye. If you could keep "Ms. A" in your thoughts and prayers, I'd much appreciate it.

Hope you are having a terrific Tuesday!

J

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...