Saturday, June 4, 2011

Yesterday & Today: Three More Layouts

Today was a great day for scrapbooking.

It was rainy outside, so I decided to stay in and finish up three layouts from Ali Edwards' Yesterday & Today class.

Hope you don't mind if I take a moment to share them with you. (To view the other layouts I've done for this class, click here and here and here.)


Layout #1: One Day in My Life
As the title suggests, for one day in late March, I documented nearly everything that happened in my life. I remember driving into work that Tuesday hoping that my day wouldn't be too boring because I wanted to have plenty to write about. Well, God must have been listening because not even an hour into my day, two of my students got into a fight at P.E. and one of them came running into my room with a bloody face, screaming and crying. I spent most of my P.E. prep time questioning the boys about the incident and writing a referral. As it turned out, both boys were suspended. If you're interested in reading more about my day, click on the photo above. Bear in mind that I've blurred some of the names to protect my students' identities.

Oh, and one note about the layout itself. I pulled out my sewing machine specifically for this layout and loved sewing pink thread around the text + photo boxes. In fact, my sewing machine is now staying out in my scrapbooking room, just in case I feel the need to sew on another layout or card.


Layout #2: Seeing Me
For this layout, I snapped a photograph of me every day for a week in April. (Two were taken with my iPhone; the others were shot with my Canon or Nikon.) I love the way this spread turned out, but let's be real: I'm kind of over myself. :-) I haven't taken this many pictures of me in a LONG time. (But I guess that's the point of this class, huh?!)


My favorite picture is the one above of Tyler, Brian and me, taken right after Tyler's t-ball game.

To the right of the photograph is my journaling: April 2011: Age 32, Walking on the treadmill. Reading The Happiness Project. Giving the STAR test at school. Perusing an e-book on how to draw a self-portrait. Looking forward to spring break. Visiting the doctor for a sinus infection. Popping Sudafed and Tylenol. Organizing my closet by color. Switching from AT&T to Verizon. Purchasing a new phone: iPhone 4. Sending text messages to family. Watching Tyler play t-ball. Proofreading mission brochures.


Layout #3: I Have Learned
I love that this layout is purely words and paper. Oftentimes, I think that scrapbook layouts have to include photos, but that's simply not true.

This layout really made me think: What have I learned in my 32 years on this earth? Which tidbits of wisdom do I want to share with others?

Over the past few weeks, I jotted down thoughts as they came to me. Some ended up in a "note" on my iPhone; others I typed up in a Word document.

I tried to be really honest and open about what I've learned thus far in my life.


I think it would be really valuable to do another layout just like this one 10 years from now.

I have four remaining layouts in Ali Edwards' Yesterday & Today class. In July, my plan is to tackle them as well as create a scrapbook layout about our family trip to Yosemite in 2009 and our day in Chicago in 2010.

I {heart} scrapbooking.

J

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...