Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Singer Ginny Owens

Several months back, I wrote a post on one of my favorite Christian artists, Nichole Nordeman. (Click HERE for that post!)

If you enjoy Nichole's singing and songwriting, you might also like Ginny Owens.


Like Nichole, she is a fantastic singer, songwriter, and pianist. Even though I've owned one of her CDs for several years, I didn't really know anything about Ginny personally. That is until yesterday when I went onto YouTube looking for videos of her performing. As I watched a handful of videos, I noticed that in nearly every performance, she was wearing sunglasses.

Hmm...I naively wondered aloud, "Why is that?!"

I googled her website and headed over to www.ginnyowens.com. And it was there--in reading her biography--that I learned of her blindness. Ginny has been blind since the age of two, but that didn't stop her from learning to play the piano and sing at an early age. In high school, she was a cheerleader, Valedictorian of her class, and attended Belmont University on a full scholarship. Her story is inspiring, to say the least, and speaks volumes about the abundance of determination, faith, and hope she possesses. About ten years ago, she signed on with Michael W. Smith's record label, Rocketown, and since then has performed 1500 concerts and sold nearly a million records. Now that's impressive!

(BTW, we're going to see Michael W. Smith & Steven Curtis Chapman live on Thursday night in Santa Rosa...I'm way excited!)

And while I haven't seen Ginny perform live, I'd love to someday. In the meantime, I'll keep listening to her Without Condition album. Here are the three songs from that album that I play over and over again.

1. Free
{I think of it as the motorcycle song because the tune begins with the rumblings of a HD motorcycle. And of course, whenever I hear a Harley, I think of my hog-loving dad!}

When I first heard Free, these lyrics, in particular, really resonated with me...and they still do today.

Fear of coming out of my shell
Too many things I can't do too well
Afraid I'll try real hard
And I'll fail
This is how it's been
Till the day You pounded on my heart's door
And You shouted joyfully
You're not a slave anymore!

2. I Am Nothing

3. If You Want Me To

If you're interested in listening to samples of these songs (and others) on Amazon, click HERE.
Enjoy! :-)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...